“Man is a social animal”- a phrase which has been inculcated and reaped in our brains for a long time, so much so that it has the power to compel us to be obligated to someone for the rest of our life. However, there are some of us who would rather sit at home and binge on TV shows than go out and “have a life”, so to speak. There are many of us who do not enjoy going out and if you are one of them, try to relate to these tell-tale signs of being an introverted, anti-social, awkward person:
- That phone call- Human company in general is tedious for them and when their phone is blowing up with people asking them how they are leading up to small talk, they just tend to make an excuse and will definitely blow you off. It is not you but their general incapacity to hold a conversation for a long period of time. Moreover, their phones will remain silent 95 percent of the time just because the ringtone irritates them to no end.
- The mute button- You know how you can mute a group on WhatsApp so you do not feel like ripping apart your phone when it rings for the thousandth time? Yes, that feature is a lifesaver for the darling anti-socials and introverts alike. If you happen to go through their phone, most groups will be muted and they will enjoy being the silent spectacle to all the drama.
- The absence- If you are courageous enough, go ahead and ask a hidden introvert or an anti-social friend to join you on a casual day out and I can guarantee the most common line you will hear is “why don’t we hang out at my place instead”. They are in a deeply committed relationship with their bed and the surroundings at home, and the only reason they will show up somewhere is because it is mandatory for them to be there.
- The family functions- If you thought getting your introvert friend among strangers is a difficult feat, try taking them out for a family function filled with uncles, aunties and cousins whom they do not even recognize; you will be in for a treat. They detest parties filled with awkward silences and prying conversation, the ordeal will haunt them for days.
- No judgement- Since they are people who enjoy spending time by themselves, they enjoy their own company more than anything else and therefore, will not be judgmental towards your approach to life. They have a small circle of friends and confidants and to get into their circle of trust is like evading a line of fire, once you are in, you are in for life.
- The scolding- If you are a person who exhibits the above, chances are you get ridiculed and scolded for this behavior more than is necessary. They, however do not give two hoots about social conventions and this is considered against our “social animal” instincts. They have their own rules and even if you get them out in a social gathering, you can see them craving peace and quiet in a short time.
They might be peculiar and a little hard to understand but their nature is something we should try to adapt a little bit in our lives because obligations have us bending and waiting on people who may disappear on us when it is their turn. So, adore all your introvert and anti-social friends because they are the ones who will binge-watch your favorite show with you, and people say paradise does not exist.